Sunday, August 11, 2013

More Auction Treasure

My honey has his chemo on Wednesday so I try and stay close to home over the weekend.  He usually sleeps through the weekend as the chemo does its stuff and he insists that I keep my treasure hunting routine.  Still, I'm just not comfortable being  more then 30 minutes away should he need something.  
So I have been going to the local auction house for treasure which is 10 minutes from the house.  On Saturday, the Atlanta Auction Company (AAC) had a major offering from a life long collector of both political and early baseball memorabilia as well as an extensive jewelry collection on the block.  This would be a fun auction to attend as well as an educational opportunity regarding the baseball memorabilia.  I always look for the opportunity to increase my knowledge base in areas that I have minimal or no expertise in.  Although I did not bid on the memorabilia, I did have the "auction luck" to win some marvelous early Carnival Glass pieces. 
My first win was this lovely, Sterling silver, cigarette case.  Beautifully monogrammed and 133.4 grams in weight, this is now in my display case at the Buford Queen of Hearts.
 
  There were nearly 400 items on the block just from the catalog so I did a little knitting in between items that I was hoping to bid on.   An antique galpal suggested that I was the Madam DeFarge of the auction set, knit one win, purl two loss. LOL.

After four hours, the catalog items was finally auctioned off and other items were now up for bid.  AAC had a few beautiful pieces of early Carnival Glass that I was interested in.  These would be pieces that a knowledgeable collector would want to own and often I am outbid way past my budget.  Still, I was hoping that I could obtain one or two pieces. 

 First item offered was this early Fenton, cobalt Orange Tree standard size mug.  Brilliant lustre all around it and in mint condition.  I couldn't believe it when I won it for $5.00.  This had to be a good sign.


Thrilled that I was the winning bidder for this early Fenton Carnival Glass ice cream shaped bowl is the Dragon and Lotus design. Brilliant marigold lustre and in mint condition. 

Love the dragons in this piece.  Circa 1915.

My heart went pitter patter when I was the winning bidder for this early Northwood, Three Fruits Medallions electric purple, footed bowl.  This piece electrifies with its rich iridescence.  Mint condition, I think it is my favorite piece from the auction.

 Oh wait, maybe this is my new favorite piece.  Gorgeous early Northwood  carnival glass, beaded cable rose bowl. Another piece in mint condition. 

 Nice, squatty vase, green carnival with brilliant lustre.  I have always liked these vases and have used them as bread stick holders on my holiday table.

 My final winning bid was this box of linens... almost ten pounds worth, I couldn't wait to get home and wash them all and begin ironing and starching them.  This was a treasure trove of Edwardian whites, vintage lace panels and so many napkins and tablecloths that I stopped counting.

My favorite set of vintage lace panels from the box.  Love this scalloped lacy pattern.  I spent the rest of the evening starching and ironing these lovely items.

From the auction, I made a quick trip to Vintage Village to pick up an antique mob cap I saw on their facebook page earlier this week.

 I adore display items and was delighted to find this marvelous Victorian ring display box.  I will use it to display my personal antique jewelry.

Love stretch glass and this brilliant orange compote is so Art Deco. I have the identical piece only in a smaller size as well.

Nearly swooned when I saw this gorgeous, American Brilliant Period, cut crystal ships decanter. Very heavy. Circa early 1900s.  Almost makes you want to fill it with a quality liquor and have a drink.

It doesn't get better than this, a delightful vintage store display for  a Dipsy Doodle hat. Don't you just love everything she is wearing?  Dated 1938.

It was a wonderful Saturday with truly lovely finds and Sunday was my inventory, pricing and restocking of my booths--afternoon.  Monday begins my "real job" week and as always, I look forward to the weekend for more treasure hunting.  Blessings to you and those you love. Sea Witch

1 comment:

Lady Locust said...

Hello,
First, every blessing with the chemo. And second, what beautiful finds. I love the 'swirly' colors in some of that glass. I have that same clear glass decanter (I keep homemade laundry det. in mine, but liquor sounds much better:)
Smiles,
JoeyLea
http://www.thelocustblossom.blogspot.com/