Monday, May 16, 2016

Rocking the weekend away

It was a lovely Atlanta weekend with warm days and cool nights. Reminded me of Flagstaff, Arizona weather where you can leave the doors and windows wide open (no insects), the days are warm and sunny and the temps drop 20 degrees at night for great sleeping. 

Interesting finds this weekend and one of them was a keeper.

Lovely Raku pottery plate with incised face and decorative edge around the rim.  

It is signed but I am still trying to decipher the signature.  Once I do it will be in my main space.

Same thrift shop yielded this magnificent rocking horse.

Nice reproduction of a 1900s rocking (gliding) horse, it has a real horsehair tail and would make a nifty photography prop.

Nice Loose-Wiles Biscuit Company cookie tin. Brothers Loose and industrialist Wiles created the Loose – Wiles Biscuit Company in 1902 which later became the Sunshine Biscuit company we know today. Rare George Washington tin, 1930s

A few weeks back I came across this marvelous Antique EAPG – Northwood Cherry and Cable pitcher.  (1908)  This week I found the sugar bowl at my local Goodwill.  I love when that happens.  If I'm lucky, I will eventually come across the matching creamer.

My favorite semi precious stone is the Alexandrite, known for it's ability to change color when seen in natural light or florescent light.  So when I come across Alexandrite glass (also known as Wisteria glass as it replicates the colors of tht lovely flower I get a little head over teakettle.  This is a lovely, mid century Wisteria (Alexandrite) glass vase.  Alexandrite or Neodymium glass changes color from a rich purple  (natural light) to a lilac blue (fluorescent light). You can see the color change in the photo.

Not one, but two pieces and also found at two different shops.  A mid century Murano, lead   crystal , Alexandrite swan. displays the same color change abilities.

Mid century reproduction of the 1800s original Uncle Sam penny bank.  This popular cast iron bank drops a coin in his carpet bag when you push the button behind his umbrella.  This particular reproduction was very popular during the US Bicentennial.  Circa 1970s

Used paint brushes always call to me, no matter the size or their use. This pair of vintage house paint brushes make a nice decorative element.

My main space is filled from the top to the bottom with lots of treasure.  With the summer holiday season beginning at the end of May, the vacationers are already looking for unique items to take home.

And speaking of taking an item home.  I came across this stunning, late 1800s American Brilliant, cut crystal bowl.

This is a big one, heavy and thick and every square inch is hand cut beautifully.  I got it for pennies on the value because it has major damage along the rim.  If you look closely at the top rim you will see two scallops that are lower then the rest of the bowl.  This must have been a prized family piece because they had repair professionally re cut to match the rest of the rim.

The pattern is Royal and the manufacturer is the Hunt Glass Company.  This large bowl even has cut feet on the bottom.

It throws so many spectrums that I fell in love with it upon cleaning it and decided to keep it.  I know most purist collectors will say it hold little value because of the damage, but I like that the original owner had a repair done.  I collect inventive repair when I come across it so this pretty bowl is in good company.  

Wishing everyone brilliant and colorful light throughout their day and as always, blessings to you and those you love. SeaWitch.

1 comment:

Tanya said...

I wish I had your eye for treasures, my friend - and I love that the bowl at the bottom is with you, now. I hate to think that just because of the repairs, the purists would discount it..."inventive repair"...love that term. Happy Thursday - I'm sure your weekend will hold some great treasure hunts!