Monday, July 17, 2017

Rainy season treasure hunt

We are deep in Florida's rainy season which means it is hot throughout the day until the clouds roll in and the lightning begins to fork bringing the pouring rain.  Can't think of a better time to hit my local Goodwill.  It's also an opportunity to drop off more donations as well.  Since moving here in December, I have found that the majority of clothes such as jackets, blazers, long sleeve shirts, sweaters, regular shoes and boots have no use here.   I unloaded what I thought was a lot of items before I moved here but I continue to empty out my closets monthly these days.    So after dropping off a Honda full of items, I went inside to see what I could find.

Always love the opalescent look of Monex petalware.  Nice dinner plate but these make a lovely server for holiday cookies.

I don't usually pick up mid-century pieces but Blenko glass is hot right now and this lovely Amber, crackle glass decanter was too good to walk away from.  Next to it, is a pretty Egyptian candlestick.

Head over tea kettle crazy about this marvelous Early American Pressed Glass (EAPG) celery vase.  Beautifully, hand engraved songbird in a branch along with the name Mrs. Sculley, Saratoga, 1891.  This is going into my personal collection.

Pretty little EAPG spooner, also hand engraved.

Lovely, 19th century, Art Nouveau, majolica pottery wall or cabinet plate. Villeroy & Boch, Germany. This pretty piece has a crack repair but still holds value.  Who says you can't find treasure at Goodwill?

Lovely set of four Tiffen wine goblets in the Rambler Rose pattern.

Pair of Johnson Bros. egg coddlers, pattern:  English Countryside.   My mother used to serve soft boiled eggs in coddlers every Saturday morning with crisp bacon and peculator coffee.  (I got milk as I was still a little girl)  I still remember the tap, tap, tap sound of the spoon cracking the shell and peeling it back to dive into the steaming hot yolk surrounded by the cooked egg white.  Toasted rye bread was sliced into long thin rows and we dunked "soldiers" into the egg.  I have no idea why we called them soldiers, but it stuck and I passed it down to my sons who passed it onto my grandchildren.  So, I googled it and found on wikipedia that this is a 1960s term.  

soldier is a thin strip of toast; the strips that a slice is cut into are reminiscent of soldiers on parade. The toast is sliced in this manner so that it can be dipped into a soft boiled egg that has had the top of its shell removed. Many people also enjoy "marmite soldiers" in the UK or "vegemite soldiers" in Australia which follow the same principle and are spread with Marmite or Vegemite respectively.  The specific term "eggs with soldiers" appears to date only from the 1960s.

Stunning Winkleman's vintage mink caplet with collar.  Lovely satin lining with embroidered initials inside, this mink is in perfect condition.

Unique find, Catholic priest's vintage, white vestment chasubal.  Crushed velvet with embroidered front and back.

Last but not least, a marvelous cast metal frame.  I am converting all of my family pictures from various modern frames into a grouping of these antique ones. Once I get them all mounted I will take a photo of the grouping and share it with you.

The summer is flying by and I am still moving in. LOL  Started to remove the window treatment and filling holes in the guest room bedroom in order to prep it for a complete repaint. Looking forward to seeing this room change from its purple and pink with hearts and flowers into coastal spa decor.  Until my next post, blessings to you and those you love.  Sea Witch

No comments: